Yes, I know...Sport and Jayme do not belong in the same sentence together, but let's play make believe for a bit!Not too long ago, we went to our nephews' (Brian's sister's kids) birthday parties. At one of those parties, I had a time warp flashback to my Whitman Elementary days. I used to play tether ball every day at recess. We would scarf our lunch down and jet out the door towards the tether ball courts. I like to say that I mastered the game to some degree. My father put a court in the backyard of our house in Mesa AND Oklahoma. It was serious stuff! I will never forget the one girl that I could never beat...old MONA...she was so intimidating and twice my size! As I got older, the love of the game began to fade and shopping became my sport of choice. The passion for the game returned when I could see the court, in the distance, at the pool where Little D was having his b-day pool party. I tried to teach LM how to play and then Brian wanted in on the action. I held my own, but couldn't never beat him. Please note I was in a skirt and wedged flip flops. The sweat was profusely pouring down my back (even had to take a shower afterwards). Yet, this didn't change my desire to beat someone...ANYONE! My bro-in-law, Tom, walked up inquiring about the game. Brian and I gave him the objective and rules of the game. He is a good guy, health nut, and athletic. Believe it or not, we actually have a lot in common. We know our way around the kitchen, love to bask in the sun, and are rather competitive. I guess our competitive nature appeared because one thing led to another and we began to play each other. Proud to say that I beat him a couple of times, but he is no fool! Tom quickly learned to use his height to his advantage and beat me ragged. I wish I could say that I let him beat me, but I didn't.
This little incident leaves me wondering where in my backyard I should put my tether ball court so I can begin training to beat Tom. Would any of you come over and practice against me?
SIDE NOTE: Literally, after an hour of trying to upload my most recent photo of Tom, I have nothing to show for it. I decided to quit and use one of him holding Annie from...um...two years ago! UGH! Good photo of him, but PeAnUt looks crazy like she is super hungry! Oh, well, that is technology and my ancient computer! Hey...I just bought a new fridge...why not a new computer too! Don't think I won't!
No comments:
Post a Comment